Everything is set, you’ve found the person you’re going to be spending your life with. Now you just need to find the perfect engagement ring. Couples generally begin their search in one of two ways:
- Buy the ring together. Some women like to choose the ring they want so they go shopping for a ring with their fiancé. Ring sizing is a little more straight forward in this instance and we will explain how to measure it accurately in a bit.
- Make it a surprise . This means you must get your partner’s ring size with a bit more subtlety. There are some clever tricks you can use to ascertain ring size without her ever knowing. We’ll look at some of these later as well.
How to Measure Ring Size When Buying the Ring Together
If the plan is to buy the ring together, this makes the how to of measuring ring size a little easier. Follow these steps to ensure you get an accurate measurement:
- Make sure your finger is at the right temperature and be aware that fingers can shrink when exposed to hot or cold.
- Measure the ring to the knuckle size. If the ring is still moving around a lot on the finger close to the hand, you need to install sizing beads or ramps. The beads are two small metal balls at 4 o’ clock and 8 o’ clock installed on the band to ensure the ring stays still. The wearer doesn’t feel a thing!
- You want your ring to be able to fit over your knuckle but not be too loose.
You can get a pretty accurate measurement on our ring size indicator. Press here and print out to use the chart to measure ring size.
Buying the Engagement Ring Together
Tradition may dictate that the man buys the ring but this has changed a lot in recent years. Many brides-to-be will have spent years imagining the perfect engagement ring and scouring Pinterest wedding boards looking at ring after ring. It isn’t unreasonable that they would want to play some role in choosing a ring they are going to wear for the rest of their life.
Advantages of buying the ring together
- These days, with so many different choices of engagement rings, it can be hard to make a final choice. Choosing between hundreds of different rings can be a difficult task for your partner.
- Going ring shopping together allows you to try on a variety of different styles and settings so you know which ones suit you best. This isn’t always possible just by looking at rings online.
- It takes some much-needed pressure off your future fiancé, who’s trying to find the perfect ring for you without absolutely breaking the bank. Shopping together guarantees that the ring you choose is something you both love.
Disadvantages of buying the ring together
- The proposal lacks the surprise factor and it may taint what is a special moment for you as a couple. When you choose your own ring, both of you know exactly what the ring will look like and that the proposal is going to happen soon.
- It can get a little awkward when the perfect ring is more expensive than the budget you’ve set aside for it. Finances can be a difficult topic for many couples and knowing exactly how much is spent on a ring. This may create an awkward situation. At Loyes Diamonds we are experts at finding solutions that give our clients a ring that is aesthetically pleasing and on budget just by tweaking characteristics of the stone.
- The whole ring buying experience may feel a bit formulaic because as with any gift the surprise element can be an important factor. It may mean more to have a ring that someone bought especially for you. As many of our clients are men secretly buying for women we try and get a sense of the lady he is purchasing for and her style and habits. If the man has done some groundwork on the type of rings she likes, with a little help and guidance from ourselves ladies are happy 99% of the time!
As a compromise, there is also the option to go ring ‘shopping’ together. Just to give your partner an idea of what you like. You can also buy the ring together and keep the proposal a surprise. So don’t worry too much about how buying the ring together is going to kill the romantic element.
How to Measure Ring Size for a Surprise Proposal
During planning where and how you’re going to propose. You also must figure out how to measure your partner’s ring size. Many struggle to find a way to do this without blowing the surprise. Men all over the country deal with this issue every day, but luckily there are some tricks you can use to get the information you need.
Before you go about the difficult task of trying to ‘borrow’ your girlfriend’s ring. Try and find out her ring size from a friend or family member. Perhaps someone has bought a ring for your partner in the past. Or maybe ask them to help in some other way. For example, they could take your partner window shopping for rings and do some detective work for you!
“I tried asking friends and family but they don’t know her ring size, any other ideas?!”
Depending on your living situation, you might be able to pop out to a jewellers with your partner’s ring to get it measured. If you are doing it this way, it’s perfectly fine to bring in any ring that has a close fit. You can also place a ring on a wax candle and mark how far it goes. We can take it from there!
“She would definitely notice if her ring is gone, what else can I do?”
You can look at measuring her ring size in subtle ways at home. Here are a few ideas:
- Try to put one of her rings on yourself and mark where it falls on your finger. Then come in and see us and we will take the measurement from the mark on your finger.
- Make an impression of her ring in a bar of soap, but make sure to clean the ring after!
- You can also trace the inside of her ring with a pencil and get a pretty accurate measurement that way or use our printable ring sizer chart already linked above.
“She always wears her rings so that won’t work! Any other way I can find out?”
Okay, but this one might be a little bit tricky, and if your girlfriend is a light sleeper it will not work. If she’s a very deep sleeper though you might be able to wrap a string around her ring finger and get the size that way.
“Not sure this would work either, what else can I try?”
If you’re really stuck. You can try to tell her a little white lie saying that you’re buying a ring for your mother or sister and that you want to get an estimated size. This technique can be a little risky. You must be very subtle or your partner will realise that you’re planning a proposal.
“Okay, I will see what works best!”
If you’re still looking for ways to find her ring size, here are some more great ring sizing tricks for a surprise proposal. Also, keep in mind that all rings can be resized after you buy them, so not all is lost if you do make a mistake.
Now that all the measuring is done, it’s time to choose an engagement ring
When you’ve figured out how to measure ring size accurately, you still have to decide on what engagement ring you’re going to buy. Whether you’ve decided to buy the ring together or if you’re planning a surprise proposal, there are some important things to keep in mind.
The Diamond Shape
Before you even consider the 4 Cs (cut, colour, clarity, and carat), you should think about what shape will suit best. The shape refers to the geometry of the stone and this is a vital component of any engagement ring.
Getting the setting right
The metal framework where the stone is mounted is vital and it really does set the tone for the entire ring. For example, an oval engagement ring can look trendy or more traditional depending on what setting you choose.
Consider the metal
The metal on the band is another important factor. Here at Loyes Diamonds we sell white gold, yellow gold, rose gold, and Platinum. We find that white gold is the most popular choice and it accounts for approximately 80% of our sales. Platinum is also a very popular metal and as its 95% pure metal. It is a wonderful choice for brides-to-be with sensitive skin (i.e.) It is hypoallergenic.
Spy on her style
If you’ve decided to go the traditional route of looking to surprise your partner. Be sure to keep an eye on what style of ring she likes generally. You can recruit a friend or a sibling on this task. Remember that is much more to buying a ring than measuring ring size.
Give yourself time
Making a final decision is not easy. Loyes Diamonds, have hundreds of rings in stock with mounts ready to go and diamonds to suit all budgets. Remember that it’s a big decision and making big decisions under pressure is never a nice feeling. Give yourself ample time to see all the choices available.
Be sensible with your budget
Don’t break the bank to get the ‘perfect engagement ring’. Forget about the idea of spending two-month’s salary. Choose a ring in a price range that is comfortable for you. At Loyes Diamonds, we have a great range of diamond engagement rings under €2,500, so have a look through those if you want a good value engagement ring that doesn’t compromise on quality.