John and Anne Betar celebrate their 82nd wedding anniversary.
We have followed this couple in the past from their incredible 80th wedding anniversary 2 years ago to the present day on their 82nd wedding anniversary.
John who is now 103 years old/young and Anne who is 99 eloped in 1932 on November 25th from their Syrian neighborhood in the town or Bridgeport which is in Connecticut. Anne was 17 at the time and John was 21. They stole away from their homes to thwart Anne’s fathers plan to have her married off to a man 20 years her senior. “Everyone was hopping mad” Anne said recently with the pluck of a 17 year old girl about to run off with the boy next door. John was the boy next door or the boy across the street who Anne says she “fell in love with at first sight”. John says he reckons that the reason Anne fell for him was because of the car he drove – a Ford Roadster “she loved that car” he joked. John drove Anne to high school on a few occasions and that was it, they eloped together weeks later.
The couple who are Americas longest married couple now live in Fairfield Connecticut where they have 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren. They have also lost two of their adult children due to illness in the past 15 years. “That’s what life is all about” they say but adding “losing a child at whatever age is still the most heartbreaking thing for a parent to witness”.
Having lived through the great depression and several wars including World War 2 whereby they witnessed Hitler’s rise and fall, presidents coming and going and being assassinated, moon landings, the arrival of the technological age what do John and Ann advice couple today are the keys to a long marriage.
- Live a long time – John says with a twinkle in his eye.
- Work at your marriage – Anne advises that marriage is not all lovey-dovey. 82 years together and the one thing you need to learn is to accept one another’s way of living. It’s vital to devote time to understanding each other and that’s what it’s all about. We always hold hands.
- You must always appreciate your family – Be content and take things as they come, to have a family to love and support you is really the key to happiness.
- Roll with things John says – Be content with what you have got and with what you are doing.
- Most importantly John Says – “If mama ain’t happy then ain’t nobody happy” with all the knowledge of 82 years of marriage to back it all up.
We wish them both all the best on this their 82nd wedding anniversary.